Recipe Ideas for the Keto Diet
When you’re following the keto diet, it can be quite difficult knowing what to cook. The restrictions can make following the diet tricky, particularly when it comes to cooking from scratch. If you’re looking for inspiration on what to cook on the keto diet, below you’ll find some awesome recipe ideas.
For more great tasting keto diet recipe ideas check out the extensive list list opposite. There is something here for any occasion, across multiple cuisines, breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and snacks.
Keto Mac & Cheese
Mac and Cheese is one of the most loved dishes and here is a recipe that’s perfect for low carb eaters.
Servings: 8 (3/4 cup)
– 2 pounds frozen cauliflower florets
-1 cup heavy whipping cream
-4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
-8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
-1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
-1 teaspoon turmeric
-½ teaspoon garlic powder
– Sat and pepper to taste
Energy – 295 kcal
Protein – 11g
Fat – 25g
Net Carbs – 5g
1. Cook the cauliflower florets according to the package instructions.
2. Bring the cream to a simmer. Use a whisk to stir in the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
3. Stir in 6 ounces of the shredded cheddar cheese. Save the other 2 ounces for later. Mix until the cheese melts into the sauce.
4. Add the Dijon mustard, turmeric, powdered garlic, salt, and pepper. The sauce will become a smooth yellow color.
5. Make sure that the cauliflower is drained then add it to the cheese sauce. Evenly coat the florets with sauce.
6. Sprinkle on the remaining 2 ounces of cheddar cheese, then stir until mostly melted.
Keto Cheesy Bacon Soup
This creamy, cheesy soup is a sure winner and might become one of your favorite. Not just delicious but it’s also healthy as it contains cauliflower which is a good option of veggie on the keto diet.
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons bacon bits
Energy – 343 kcal
Protein – 17g
Fat – 289g
Net Carbs – 4g
1. In a deep pan, heat up 3/4 of the olive oil and the garlic on medium heat.
2. Once hot, add in the cauliflower.
3. Pour in the chicken broth and water, bringing it to a boil over high heat. Stir frequently.
4. Once it’s boiling, stir in the heavy whipping cream then turn the heat down to medium.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of your oil and xanthan gum to make a slurry.
6. Drop your slurry into the soup and stir. It should start to thicken.
7. Little by little, add in your cheese, stirring it into the soup so it melts.
8. Whisk in your bacon and serve!
Keto Potato Salad
A scrumptious salad recipe that is perfect for your lunch meal.
1 large cauliflower
r¼ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard1 teaspoon celery seeds
¼ teaspoon salt
4 large hard-boiled eggs*
½ cup diced celery
1 teaspoon fresh dill
2 stalks green onions, thinly sliced
1. Prepare the cauliflower by cutting the head into bite sized florets and steaming for 3-4 minutes or in a stovetop steamer until the cauliflower is only slightly tender. Set aside to cool.
2. Make the dressing by whisking together sour cream, mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, and salt.
3. Mash the two reserved yolks into the cream mixture and whisk until very smooth.
4. Add the cooled cauliflower, boiled eggs, celery, onion and dill. Stir to coat.
5. Refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the cauliflower to completely cool and the flavors to melt together. Garnish with green onion and serve cold!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Calories – 234
Protein – 7g
Fat – 19g
Net Carbs – 5g
Keto Strawberry Milkshake
This keto Strawberry Milkshake is definitely a chilling treat.
3/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
7 Ice Cubes
2 tbsp. Sugar-free Strawberry Torani
1 tbsp. MCT Oil
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1. Add all ingredients to your blender.
2. Blend everything together for 1-2 minutes or until the consistency is good for you.
3. Pour out and enjoy!
Calories – 368
Protein – 2g
Fat – 39g
Net Carbs – 2g
These keto tortillas are definitely delicious and perfect to make quesadillas and tacos combined with your choice of meat and veggies.
Servings: 10 tortillas
1 cup coconut flour
4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
½ cup softened butter, coconut oil, or grass-fed lard
¼ teaspoons garlic powder
¼ teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoons red chili powder
2 cups hot broth or hot water
1. Add all dry ingredients to a bowl. Mix well.
2. Add butter and/or coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
3. Pour hot broth into the bowl and stir with a spoon until the butter is melted and everything is well incorporated.
4. Roll dough into a log shape. Cut into 8 equal parts.
5. Grease a griddle, cast iron skillet, or frying pan lightly with butter or coconut oil, then heat to medium heat.
6. Shape each part into a ball. On a sheet of parchment paper, take each ball and roll out as well as you can. If necessary, use a piece of parchment paper on top of the dough, as well. If the dough tears, it is easily fixed. Just keep working with it. Your goal is to get it spread out evenly.
7. Grab a medium size pan lid, place it on top of the dough, twist, and lift. You will get perfectly round tortillas.
8. Lift the parchment paper and place the tortilla over your hand, peeling the paper off with your other hand.
9. Continue doing this until all of your dough is used. Don’t forget to use the excess dough to roll together for more tortillas.
10. Put into the hot griddle until the bottom begins to brown, then flip. Cook both sides until nice and browned, remove, and enjoy.
11. Use these to make quesadillas, tacos, and many other recipes!
Calories – 132
Protein – 2g
Fat – 12g
Net Carbs – 2g
A delicious snack option which is lemon cupcakes, topped with raspberry frosting.
-2 1/3 cups almond flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-½ teaspoon sea salt
-½ teaspoon xanthan gum
-¾ cup granulated Swerve
-2 tablespoons lemon zest
-2 tablespoons melted butter
-3 large eggs
¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract
-2 teaspoons lemon extract
-16 ounces cream cheese, softened
-2 tablespoons butter, softened
-1/3 cup Swerve
-¾ cup unsweetened frozen raspberries
-3 tablespoons whipping cream
-1 teaspoon lemon juice
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with papers.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, sweetener, and zest until combined.
3. Whisk melted butter into the dry ingredients. The mixture should form into coarse crumbs.
4. Add eggs and stir until incorporated. The batter will begin to stick together.
5. Add almond milk, vanilla, and lemon extract and whisk until the batter is smooth.
6. Carefully fill the prepared cupcake papers until they are about ¾ full—about 2 heaping tablespoons for each cupcake.
7. Place cupcakes in preheated oven and bake for 29-32 minutes or until the cupcake bounces back when pressed.
8. Let cupcakes cool on a rack until they reach room temperature before frosting.
9. In a large bowl, whip together cream cheese and butter using an electric mixer.
10. Blend in sweetener and frozen raspberries until combined. Add whipping cream, lemon juice, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
11. Using a piping bag, frost cupcakes as desired.
Energy – 337 kcal
Protein – 9g
Fat – 30g
Net Carbs – 6g
Are you in love with cheese? Then this will absolutely be a dip that you will make over and over again! An amazing pair to nachos or crackers.
• 1 tablespoon butter
• ½ small onion, chopped
• 6 whole pimento peppers
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
• ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1. In a pot, melt your butter.
2. Add in your onions and sweet peppers, sauteing for 3-5 minutes.
3. When the onions are clear, pour in your cream and stir.
4. Whisk in your xanthan gum. If it doesn’t thicken too much, add in another teaspoon.
5. Once your cream is thick and is bubbling, slowly stir in your cheddar cheese – one small handful at a time. Make sure it melts before adding more.
6. Do the same thing with the Gruyere cheese, one small handful at a time.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve with veggies, low-carb crackers, or throw on some low-carb nachos.
Calories – 151
Protein – 5g
Fat – 14g
Net Carbs – 2g
Keto Tomato Soup
This keto tomato soup is a soup that will make you crave for more. Best served during cold-weather.
• 1 can tomato paste
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• ¾ cup shredded Asiago cheese
• ¼ cup water
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place your tomato paste, minced onion, and garlic into a pot. Turn on the heat to medium and pour in your cream.
2. Bring to a boil while you whisk the mixture together.
3. Once it’s boiling, add in your Asiago cheese little by little. It should start thickening up.
4. Add in the water and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
5. Serve and top with pepper. You can optimally add some green onions too.
Calories – 301
Protein – 9g
Fat – 26g
Net Carbs – 9g
A nice way to start your day is through this keto pancakes for breakfast. Pair with a sugar free syrup and you’re good to go!
2 tbsp Butter
4oz Cream Cheese
Sugar Free Syrup
1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 scoop of Whey Protein
1) Place eggs, cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a food processor or a blender, then blend until mixture is a liquid consistency.
2) Blend in Whey protein powder.
3) Spray a nonstick flat-bottom pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray and let the pan get warm over medium heat.
4) Pour about ⅓ cup of batter into the pan and let it cook untouched for 2 minutes or until batter starts to bubble.
5) Flip the pancake and let it cook for 1 minute. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to finish all the batter.
6) On a serving plate, stack up all the pancakes, add a slice of butter if preferred, and drizzle with some sugar-free maple syrup!
Energy – 936 kcal
Protein – 43g
Fat – 78g
Net Carbs – 5g
This low-carb taco recipe proves you don’t need to give up the foods you love on the keto diet. Rather than using flour-based taco shells, instead this recipe uses cheese as the shells. You simply bake the cheddar cheese shells in the oven, then stuff them with ground beef and a little salad for delicious, healthy low-carb tacos. You can find the full recipe for this dish here.
Tuscan Garlic Chicken
Looking for a restaurant quality meal you can enjoy? This Tuscan garlic chicken recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. The sauce is deliciously creamy, and it takes just 30 minutes to prepare and cook this dish.
You don’t need a huge amount of ingredients here either. You’ll largely need chicken breasts, heavy cream, spinach, sundried tomatoes and chicken broth. It can be served alone, or you can serve it alongside pasta. Remember to limit your pasta servings, however, to keep it low carb. Discover the recipe for this tasty dish here.
Chicken Rice Bowls
OK, before you get too excited, there’s no actual rice in this recipe. However, it does give you the texture and flavor of the rice bowls you’ve come to love and enjoy.
Instead of using standard rice, this recipe uses cauliflower rice. It also packs in a lot of great fillings, ensuring you’re left feeling satisfied. What’s great about this recipe is that it aims to combat the fatigue that’s commonly experienced when starting the keto diet.
It does require quite a few ingredients, but once you have the basics, it will become more affordable to make in the future. The main ingredients include chicken breasts, coconut aminos, mayonnaise, shiitake mushrooms and sesame seeds. You can find the full recipe here.
Keto Chicken Pot Pie
Think you can’t enjoy a comforting pie on the keto diet? Think again! This keto chicken pot pie is a wonderful recipe to try. It features a stunning biscuit-topped crust, alongside a beautiful creamy filling.
You’ll struggle to tell the difference between this and the real thing. Best made at times where you need a little comfort food, it’s surprisingly easy to make. The only thing to keep in mind here is that it does require an extensive ingredients list. One ingredient you’ll be using is chicken broth. So, you’ll want to ensure you’re choosing a low-salt broth. Find the full recipe for this comforting pie here.
The above are just a very small number of keto-friendly recipes. You’ll find more in the sidebar of this page as well as in specialist keto cookbooks. While the above recipes all feature meat, there are vegetarian-inspired dishes available too.